Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What do you get when you cross a 22 month old and expresso?

Hello, my name is Mom, and I am a coffee addict. To be precise, a 32 oz, McCafe iced caramel coffee every morning kind of addict. While I love the people at my McDonald's, they sometimes don't get my coffee quite right. Monday wasn't great, but it wasn't the worst they have ever made.

I also work from home, but not until after I get my fix because I have seen the results. This week started out dreary and cold; extra foggy, extra chilly Mondays require coffee. But, again, I am an addict, and I can use my shoes came untied as a way to rationalize needing my coffee. I drove through. For a mere $2.56, I got fog lifter.

I stumbled my way to my laptop from the car. I set my coffee down on the aptly named coffee table. I logged in. I begged for mercy from the e-mail goddess. She hates me. In the middle of my gratuitous Outlook flogging for insolence, I hear this strange noise. Schmerrrrr... SCHLURRRR... Ppppp. Pause. Odd noises are a part of my nearly 40 year old house. Monday was not just dreary and cold, it was super windy, think 60 mph wind gusts. Ah, Iowa in the spring is kite weather. (Note to self, no kites in gusty winds for five year old.) So, maybe it was the wind, or the neighbor working on... SCHLURRRRRRPPPP... Wait for it. Wait for it. Why, yes, she did. 

There's the baby, who's really nearly two, with a plastic cup that spans from the bottom resting on the tops of her thighs to the lid just under her chin, sipping intently from the straw. She stops when she realizes that I am on to her, and she looks at me with pure pleasure combined with a sense of getting-away-with-it and grins. "Mmmmm... mmmm... good moolk," she says. She then adds insult to injury with a burp.

After tearing up the hallway carpet for three solid hours, refusing her nap, and undoing an entire tote of folded off season clothes with flourish, she won. I gave the rest to her in a sippy cup, in the name of science. 

She finally laid down in a puddle of exhaustion 30 minutes earlier than usual. I just carried her to bed and prayed they would get my coffee right on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment